Beware of pushy Door-to-Door alarm North American salesmen coming to your home soon offering to replace your alarm for new, free of charge! Their “hard sell pressure” sales pitch is a new take on the “old lamps for new” and has drawn major attention from the NZ Media and especially Fair Go.
Watch the Fair Go Video below…
The main criticisms raised by Fair Go and ex clients are these:
The Sales Pitch is “very pressured” and “very hard sell” and they won't leave until they make a sale. Once you sign, the installers are waiting outside and will come in immediately to install the system before you have a chance to change your mind.
The Salesmen claim that the system is endorsed by the NZ Police. This is, in fact, not true. The charter of the NZ Police does not allow them to endorse any products whatsoever, alarms or otherwise.
They have also taken this even further and claimed that a Policemen in the street has one of their alarms and recommends it to you and your neighbours.
The major criticism of the Sales Tactics is the claim that the “alarm equipment is free” while you only pay a small service fee. Fair Go says that you will “pay handsomely” for your “free alarm” as you will be tied in to a contract for up to 5 years for $80 per month which is a total of nearly $5000. If the alarm is actually 'free', then their monitoring service is $80.48 per month, compared with the $35 that you're paying now (and you will pay for guard callouts).
Safegard's concerns are:
- That they claim that the features of their alarm are different to those offered by other companies and unique to them. This is not true.
- Safegard offers Touchscreen Keypads, Smart Phone Apps and Web Portals to control your alarm, Video Verification of Intruders, Smart Locks, Heating and Ventilation integration.
- Question: Will the door-to-door company monitor your alarm with a local monitoring station operated by locals who have local knowlege?
Answer: No they will not. Your alarm will be monitored by a company in Wanganui.
- Question: Does this company have resident local technicians available to service your alarm?Answer: No, work will be contracted out to third party companies.
- Why throw out a perfectly good alarm and pay a second time for something you already have?